Men's Shelter at 39th Street

Title

Men's Shelter at 39th Street

Description

The 39th Street Ferry House Men's Shelter was built in response to the Panic of 1920. In cooperation with the Department of Public Welfare and the Mayor's Committee on Relief, SCI opened this temporary station for unemployed seamen on November 7, 1921. This facility provided beds, hot showers, laundry services and food for 500 men each night until it closed on April 15, 1922.

Creator

Seamen's Church Institute

Date

1921-1922

Rights

Seamen’s Church Institute provides digital access to materials from its Archives for educational and research purposes. Responsibility for determining copyright status of and securing permission to use an item rests with the person desiring to use the material.

Coverage

This building was located where at the current Battery Maritime Building at the end of FDR drive on the southern tip of Manhattan

Citation

Seamen's Church Institute, “Men's Shelter at 39th Street,” Seamen's Church Institute Archives, accessed November 21, 2017, http://seamenschurch-archives.org/items/show/51.