Journal of the Floating Church of Our Saviour 1843 July 17 - 1844 June 30

Title

Journal of the Floating Church of Our Saviour 1843 July 17 - 1844 June 30

Description

One of six journals of Rev. Benajmin C. C. Parker, Reverend at the Floating Church of Our Saviour, which operated on the waterfront at Pike Street from 1844-1866. Includes entries detailing the first service at the Seamen’s Episcopal Chapel, founded above a grog shop at the corner of Pike and South Streets (July 17, 1843); the service surrounding the raising of the frame ceremony for the Institute’s first floating chapel (November 30, 1843); Rev. Parker’s sermon to more than one hundred seafarers regarding the wreck of the Sheffield (December 2, 1843); the peaceful and successful seafarers’ strike for higher wages that took place over December 3-10, 1843; the completion of construction on the Floating Church of Our Saviour and its consecration at Pike Street (February 14 and 19, 1844); overcrowding at the Church during its first months in service; general accounts of the exploitation of seafarers and the “almost daily recitals” that come to Rev. Parker’s ears; Rev. Parker’s doubts about continuing as the Institute’s Missionary; the decision by the Board to install Rev. Parker as Missionary on a permanent basis.

Creator

Parker, Rev. Benjamin C. C.

Date

1843 July 17 - 1844 June 30

Extent

1 bound volume (99 pages)

Rights

Seamen’s Church Institute provides digital access to materials from its Archives for educational and research purposes. Responsibility for determining copyright status of and securing permission to use an item rests with the person desiring to use the material.

Citation

Parker, Rev. Benjamin C. C. , “Journal of the Floating Church of Our Saviour 1843 July 17 - 1844 June 30,” Seamen's Church Institute Archives, accessed July 23, 2021, http://seamenschurch-archives.org/items/show/18398.