Journal of the Floating Church of Our Saviour 1845 November 16 - 1846 November 23

Title

Journal of the Floating Church of Our Saviour 1845 November 16 - 1846 November 23

Description

One of six journals of Rev. Benajmin C. C. Parker, Reverend at the Floating Church of Our Saviour, which operated on the waterfront at Pike Street from 1844-1866. Includes entries detailing the donation from an unknown gentleman of $2000 for the first and projected second floating chapels (November 17, 1845); a visit from Capt. Hilliard, one of two survivors of the steamer Lexington, which sank off the coast of Long Island (November 23, 1845); a visit from Rev. Mr. Suddards as part of a Committee planning to build a floating chapel for seafarers in Philadelphia (November 30, 1845); the signing of a contract to build a floating chapel at the North River (February 7, 1846); a report on the moral pollution of New York City’s theaters (March 4, 1846); the funeral of J.R. Van Rensselaer, Vice President of the Society for Seamen (March 22, 1846); the finish of construction on the Church of the Holy Comforter, anchored at Dey Street, and the first services held there (September 28-29, 1846); the story of Charles Hernberg, a seafarer who became the Sexton of the Church of the Holy Comforter.

Creator

Parker, Rev. Benjamin C. C.

Date

1845 November 16 - 1846 November 23

Extent

1 bound volume (240 pages)

Rights

Seamen’s Church Institute provides digital access to materials from its Archives for educational and research purposes. Responsibility for determining copyright status of and securing permission to use an item rests with the person desiring to use the material.

Citation

Parker, Rev. Benjamin C. C. , “Journal of the Floating Church of Our Saviour 1845 November 16 - 1846 November 23,” Seamen's Church Institute Archives, accessed October 27, 2021, http://seamenschurch-archives.org/items/show/18400.